Sunday, October 4, 2009


I'd been wondering lately if there's a point when playing music all the time gets old, not that it's getting old to me but I wondered if it would. I don't think playing will, perhaps the way one plays might...

Tonight I remembered vividly why I started playing.

I got a guitar when I was 6 and learned a few simple songs and chords and when I figured out how to sing and play at the same time I had an overwhelming feeling of freedom. Free to scream or whisper my fears or hopes in any key I decided, any way I saw fit. Free to string together words to make me feel however I wanted to and perhaps make others feel the same.
I remembered that feeling as I played tonight and it rushed over me like a wave that takes away homes and leaves only the beach in it's path. I wish I could keep it with me all the time and I plan to try. I'm sure it will just come in and out of my life when it needs to.
I'm also sure that we ALL have some source of freedom and that it's not anything anyone gives us. It's a stone you find out of place on a trail and put in your pocket. It's a key to a place only you can find. It's the feeling of wind on your face when you were a child on the day that your dog lead you out of the yard. Your children feel it too.

Hold on to it. I'm keeping mine close. And thanks for letting me share my freedom with you. I appreciate it.

lotsa love
jf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make a comment, I can take it.