Monday, September 14, 2009

just funny


I drove to Chattanooga yesterday (Sunday) and then back and tried to listen to the radio along the way. After some endless circles through the available stations I settled for a snake-oil preacher on a Nashville station that sounded like a lot of fun to hear. He was a very well-spoken fellow and made some interesting points...and then...

we as listeners were becoming rather enthralled in some story of contradicting behaviors by biblical characters Peter and Paul and I'm sure we all leaned in toward the radio a little as the intensity in our speakers' voice grew... This preacher was apparently quite frustrated with Paul over something he did or didn't say to the Gentiles...irrelevant to my story...but entertaining because what I heard next made me laugh harder than I have in ages.
The preacher (on the radio) began YELLING at Paul (the deceased apostle) and said (the quote here is the funny part) "He defied the SCRIPTURE!!, Paul DEFIED THE SCRIPTURES!!"

---defied the scripture--- note: he's talking about New Testament Scripture by his own account.

I supposed he was referring to the scripture that the christian churches today are reading...and perhaps Paul had defied it in some way (again irrelevant) but what I found funny was

THE SCRIPTURE HADN'T BEEN WRITTEN at the time of these events. Our hero Paul was living the events from which the scriptures would emerge...the writings this guy on the radio was reading and ranting about 2000+ years later.

I felt bad for Paul, unable to defend himself and having been scolded by Bill the Preacher on public radio for his bad behavior...and for not adhering to a book that he never read. Poor fella.

Don't read any more into this than there is. I'm not getting into the arguments that usually surround Religion, just poking a little fun at my fellow man. (forgive me Lord and fella on the radio)

In other news of the day, the show went great and I met some nice folks, fellow songwriter Brian Ashley Jones of Nashville and his cohort Tish the bass player along with a lot of very hospitable Tennessee..ans. Good times. See you somewhere!


lotsa love
jf

1 comment:

  1. haha, i do my best nt to argue religion with friends. but sometimes i just stare dumfounded at them.

    david d

    humm just noticed it wants me to comment as??

    ReplyDelete

Make a comment, I can take it.